Seisyth Hugh Lloyd 14 August 1917

A Weshman by birth, Seisyth Hugh Lloyd was the second son of Colonel G Lloyd and was living in Warwickshire when he came up to Laxton House in 1912. At School, he became a School Prefect and Captain of the XV. The Laxtonian critic claimed, “As captain in the field, he might make his voice heard more loudly at times”. Nonetheless, from the detailed match reports, he was clearly a good kicker and scored a number of important tries. He scored twice in the match against Cranwell in his last term: “Unfortunately the latter part of the game was played in rather dim light, so that friend could hardly be distinguished from foe.”

He was a keen debater and was elected secretary of the Debating Society in his last year. With his Wrexham birth, he seems to have seen himself as a spokesman on Welsh affairs and in a school debate about strikes during the war, he castigated one of the main speakers for using the phrase Welsh Miners, saying that “miners in Wales” would be more accurate. On another occasion, he proposed the motion that “the forces of Great Britain, both industrial and military, should be controlled by fighting men alone”. In August 1915, according to the Munitions Gazette, he gave up a fortnight of his summer holidays to work in the workshops.

He left Oundle in 1916 and early in the next year, aged 18, he joined the Royal Naval Air Service. He trained in England and crossed to Dunkirk on 29th July 1917 to join the 10th Squadron at Winnerzeele. He went missing just two weeks later, on 14th August, while flying a Sopwith Triplane in a squad of four planes sent out on “offensive patrol.” Whilst over the lines near Zillebeeke, south-east of Ypres, he was seen turning westwards and leaving the squad. At the time the squad had run into heavy anti-aircraft fire and Lloyd was not seen again.

Seisyth Lloyd’s body was never found and his name is inscribed on the Flying Memorial in Arras. At the time of his death, he was just 19 years old.

C Pendrill
Yarrow Fellow