The Adamson Centre is the home of Modern Foreign Languages. Built in 1913 and formerly known as the Sir Peter Scott building, it was completely refurbished through the generosity of the late Frederic Adamson, an Old Oundelian. Facilities include fourteen teaching rooms, two Sony Language Laboratories, six Language Assistant Pods and the Raymond Lee International Suite.
Originally, the Brereton Rooms housed the Working Men’s Club and subsequently the Conservative Club. The building was purchased by former schoolmaster R P Brereton and handed over to the vicar and churchwardens of St Peter’s. The building was purchased by the School in the 1980s and now houses offices of the Senior Management Team, including the Deputy Head, Undermaster and Senior Master.
The Bursary in Church Street was originally the Laxton Almshouse, founded by the benefaction of Sir William Laxton ‘for seven poor men perpetually to be found in Oundle’. The last Almsman was relocated to alternative accommodation in 1932. The Bursary Finance team moved into the newly refurbished building in 1987.
The Cloisters is at the centre of the School, housing seven academic departments (Classics, History, Art, Geography, Religious Studies, Politics and Economics). For the majority of Oundelians, it is also the meeting point at break-time, turning the large central quad into a hub of activity.
Cobthorne was built around 1657 by Major William Butler, one of Cromwell’s famous Major Generals. Butler’s successor at Cobthorne was John Creed, who watched the Great Fire of London with Samuel Pepys. In the early 1800s Cobthorne was sold to John Smith, a local brewer. His brother Thomas lived at Cobthorne and ran a private bank from the house, The Oundle Commercial Bank. From 1876 to 1882 Headmaster Rev Henry St John Reade occupied the house, followed by other members of the Smith family until 1945. At this point, Cobthorne became the permanent home of the Head of Oundle School.
Originally designed as the Tuck Shop by architect Peter Bicknell, an Old Oundelian, in 1936, it was converted to the Common Room in 1999. Prospective parents are invited to lunch with pupils in the Common Room Dining Room when on visits to the School.
The Cripps Library has benefited from the generosity of three generations of the Cripps family, beginning in 1963. It moved to its current location in the churchyard in 1988, and was completely refurbished by Luke Hughes and Co in 2011.
Converted from a Georgian house and a range of offices, The Gascoigne Building was officially opened in March 1996 and is named after C Gascoigne, former Chair of the Governors. Home to The Music School, it houses practice and teaching rooms, a music library, technology suite and recording studio, and a recital room.
The Great Hall was designed by Arthur Bloomfield in 1907. Today the building houses the offices of both Admissions and the Head. It also houses two smaller halls; the Cecil Lewis Room (CLR) and the Arthur Marshall Room (AMR).
The Junior Club for the Fourth and Fifth Forms and a separate Sixth Form Club host organised events and provide an informal space for pupils to socialise throughout the week.
Laxton Junior School opened its doors in September 1973 in Old Dryden, once the Dolphin Hotel, in North Street. In September 2002, it moved into its new building in East Road, on the five acre site of the old Laundimer paddock. The new building enabled the school to double its capacity, and now caters for 250 children aged 4 to 11.
The Physics wing of SciTec was named after Old Oundelian Joseph Needham, a British scientist, historian and sinologist. The department is unique amongst schools in housing its own wind tunnel and owning a Topcon SM 200 electron scanning microscope.
The English Department occupies Old Dryden, a former coaching inn just off the town’s market place. In addition to the classrooms, there is a dance and drama studio and a large computer suite.
The Opera House is the home of Marketing and PR.
The Patrick Engineering Centre was funded and named after Alex Patrick, an Old Oundelian and a highly successful businessman in the motor industry. It was opened in 1997 on the site of the old workshops and was recently rebuilt with new state-of-the art facilities. The workshops tradition was established at the end of the 19th century by F W Sanderson who brought Engineering into the Sixth Form as an academic subject. Since then, Design, Technology and Engineering has been integral to the ethos of Oundle School.
The Chapel was built as a memorial to the Oundelians who had been killed in World War One, and consecrated in 1922. Features of the Chapel interior include the John Piper stained glass windows in the apse, the Mark Angus stained glass windows in the nave, and the Roll of Honour tablets designed by Old Oundelian, Sir Bertram Clough Williams-Ellis, architect of Portmeirion.
SciTec is an award-winning science building with outstanding facilities, including 16 fully equipped Chemistry and Biology laboratories. Specialist features include a “green roof”, a grey water system, temperature stability heating, photovoltaic cells, a large roof green house and an observatory. In September 2016 the second phase of SciTec opened with a new building that brings Mathematics into the interconnecting complex, linking the STEM subjects of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics both physically and philosophically. The new Mathematics department houses eleven new classrooms, while the new Patrick Engineering Centre hosts the very latest technologies and concepts, including 3D printing and robotics, alongside large projects space for which Oundle is famous.
The Sports Centre houses two sports halls, a climbing wall, the 50m swimming pool, numerous courts and a large fitness suite. The School Sports Shop is open daily and stocks sporting equipment and uniform kit, and offers a try-on service for School uniforms.
Named after its benefactor and Old Oundelian Rodolphe Stahl, the Stahl Theatre was converted from a former Congregational Church in 1979. Throughout the year, the Stahl hosts Oundle School's own productions, as well as a wide range of leading touring theatre companies, and every performance is open to the general public.
The Two Acre Club is a purpose-built venue for hosting match teas, receptions and sporting events. Limited parking is available nearby, with more parking available at the Sports Centre.
The Yarrow Gallery was funded by Sir Arthur Yarrow in memory of his son Eric F Yarrow (G 1913) who was killed in World War One. Originally a museum, it is now a gallery space for School and visiting art exhibitions, as well as special events, receptions and drama productions.
Situated in the centre of the Market Place, Bramston House (B) is a Queen Anne town house built by Stephen Bramston, a lawyer, in 1701. It was purchased by the School in 1916 and later extended by the purchase of Pettit's and Moore's shops.
Milton Road, PE8 4AG
Facing Milton Road to the front and the expanse of the playing fields at the rear, Crosby House (B) derives its name from Grocer and diplomat Sir John Crosby, and was first occupied by boarders in 1907.
Built in 1938, Dryden is situated just north of the centre of Oundle, overlooking Home Close and SciTec. The House is named after the seventeenth century poet John Dryden, who was born in the local village of Aldwincle.
Fisher (B) overlooks the playing fields to the rear, and is next to the swimming pool and sports hall. Founded as Laxton House in 1869, the House was renamed in 2001 after the former Headmaster, Kenneth Fisher.
Grafton (B) is one of the four spacious purpose-built boys houses collectively known as the Field Houses, situated off Milton Road and backing on the playing fields. Named after the sixteenth century Grocer and printer, Grafton House was established as a residence in 1902, and moved to the present site in 1905.
Kirkeby (G) was built in 1990 to accommodate Oundle's first girl boarders. The House takes its name from Joan Kirkeby, the wife of Sir William Laxton who endowed and refounded the School in 1556. It is situated on Pavilion Drive, and linked to Wyatt House and the Health Centre.
At the heart of Laundimer (B) is a fine Victorian town house, once the residence of Robert (later Baron) Vernon Smith, who was MP for Northamptonshire in the mid-nineteenth century. The House stands on North Street, with a spacious enclosed garden to the rear.
North Street, PE8 4AR
Laxton House (Day) occupies the churchyard site of the original gild school, which Oundle's founder, Sir William Laxton, attended. The complex of buildings includes the historic Cloisters and the Long Room.
New House (G) was converted to a girls house in 1997, but was first used as a boarding house in 1907. Despite its name, the original building is one of the oldest that the School owns. With a large paddock which runs down to the Nene River, and views over the adjacent pastures, New House holds a unique position in town.
Sanderson (G) was designed by the distinguished architect WA Forsyth and built in 1938. It is named after FW Sanderson who was Headmaster from 1901-22. Located to the north of the town, it overlooks Home Close.
St Anthony House stands on Milton Road facing the School Chapel with which it shares its patron saint. Its copper-domed tower is a local landmark clearly visible as one approaches Oundle from the west.
Since taking its first boarders in 1882, Sidney House (B) now houses one of four Field Houses situated along Milton Road, and facing the School playing fields to the rear.
Built in the late seventeenth century as a gentleman's house, The Berrystead (11-13) is a handsome Grade 1 listed building just off the Market Place housing up to forty boys and girls.
Joan Wyatt co-founded the Gild of Our Lady of Oundle in the early part of the sixteenth century and gave her name to one of a pair of houses built in 1990 for the first girl boarders. Wyatt (G) was purpose-built with many spacious common rooms, and is surrounded by the School playing fields from its position on Pavilion Drive.