Alan Lewis [Luis] Pink was from Horsham, having been born in London in August 1898. He came up to Sammy Squire’s Laxton House in 1911, but after two terms, transferred to Henry Hale’s New House. Still only 16 when he left the school, he was a speedy three-quarter for the 2nd XV and helped New House, captained by Freddie Milholland, win the rugby house shield in December 1914. He was also a promising athlete, winning the half and quarter miles, and the 100 yards on Sports Day when he was still an U16.
He left Oundle in April 1915 and gained a commission in the Rifle Brigade. Later he was attached to the Royal Air Force and was killed in action in aerial combat on 30th October 1918 over Belgium, and buried in the village cemetery in Kooigem in Belgium, 20 miles east of Ypres.
His mother had attended the meeting of parents in Grocers’ Hall in 1917 to approve the building of a new chapel in Oundle to commemorate the fallen, which would include her own son, killed at the age of 20.